This guidebook, Walking in Torridon, consists of 52 day walks of differing grades and characters including ascents of 9 Munros. The guidebook is divided into 3 sections, and describes routes for easy walks, long and high level walks and mountain ascents over 2000ft. The walks vary in length between 2 and 14 miles long, with plenty of options to extend routes. The mountain ascents section is divided into north and south sections in order to help with the confusion of the mountain names.
The area covered in this guide includes the area south of Loch Maree and Gairloch, north of Loch Carron and west of Achnasheen. Key summits include Liathach, Beinn Eighe, Beinn Alligin and Sgorr Ruadh. To discover the best of Torridon, a remote and much-loved area of the Scottish Highlands, you need to be prepared to range over heather, grass, rock and marsh, without paths or waymarks. This guidebook will give you the confidence to do so, revealing all the best routes across the landscape with the help of OS maps and sketches.
The terrain differs in each walk, occasional black peat bogs, with miniature cliffs and sullen countenance, can look menacing, but they are easily circumnavigated and, in fact, are often quite hard to walk on. The climbs often involve descending again by the route of your ascent, which builds in a considerable safety factor if you are new to the area and also the comfort and pleasure of returning over familiar territory. This is never boring as the spectacular views are the opposite of what you have enjoyed going up.
contains OS mapping, inspiring photography and the author's sketches
practical advice on when to go, accommodation and access in Scotland, as well as information on Torridon's geology and gaelic place names.
•Seasons - It is possible to walk in the mountains of Torridon year-round; winter on the west coast is often fairly mild, although equipment is needed for snow and ice; high summer is full of midges
•Centres - Shieldaig, Slioch and Torridon
•Difficulty - walks of all grades; most avoid anything particularly difficult or technical
•Must See - Munros, sea lochs and wilderness!
- 28 Jan 2015
- 17.2 x 11.6 x 1.6cm
- 1st Published
- 14 Apr 2010
Enjoy Free Delivery on Orders Over €75!
- For orders under €75, a nominal fee of €5.95 applies.
- Orders placed before 12:00pm are dispatched the same business day.
- We use An Post next-day delivery, but allow up to 3 business days as couriers can be subject to delays out of our control.
Hassle-Free Returns Within 28 Days
- Items must be in sellable, new condition for return eligibility - see our full T&Cs for returns here.
- Easily arrange returns with An Post click & post through our returns page.
- Returns are processed promptly upon arrival at our store. Click here to start a return
Same-Day Delivery in Dublin
- Need your item in a hurry? We offer same-day delivery in Dublin with GRAB.
- Want your order quickly? We offer click and collect in-store!