It happens to us all. Engaged in a stiff climb or leisurely stroll you spot a flower out of the corner of your eye, take a photograph or just try and store the memory, so that you can look it up when you get home. This pocket field guide to 230 flower species commonly-found in the Alps was made for those moments - every curious Alpinist should carry one.
For the purposes of this book, the altitude of 1500m above sea level has been taken as the cut-off level for alpine flowers, although the odd exception found lower down and considered to be of special interest has been included.
The primary method of identification used here is colour, and to make flower recognition quick and easy – the aim of this guide – flowers have been grouped together under their dominant colour. The colours are presented in the following order in this book:
Red: shades from pink to red and burgundy
Yellow: covering the range through to orange
Blue: from light hues through to royal blue
Purple: delicate lilac to rich purple charged with blue and red
White: predominantly white or creamish. Green has also been included here
As well as a photograph, key characteristics of each alpine flower are briefly described in simple language for (and by) the non-expert. Notes on name derivation and traditional uses are included. Specialised terminology has been purposely kept to a minimum; however, some terms are necessary for distinguishing similar species and to help observation and identification.
Each individual flower heading shows the name in English and then underneath, in Latin (in italics), then French, German and Italian. A Glossary and a simplified diagram of a flower are also provided at the front of the book, after the contents page.
The product of author Gillian Price's 30-year love affair with the Alps, this pocket handbook will be an ideal companion for anyone interested in the remarkable natural gems of the Alpine meadows.
•Seasons - Flowers don't begin appearing until early spring (March) at medium altitudes with the thaw under way. The whole brilliant show is in full swing up at high altitudes from June through to August/September, but many flowers also come out as late as October.
- 25 Feb 2014
- 15.5 x 10.0 x 0.9cm
Enjoy Free Delivery on Orders Over €75!
- For orders under €75, a nominal fee of €5.95 applies.
- Orders placed before 12:00pm are dispatched the same business day.
- We use An Post next-day delivery, but allow up to 3 business days as couriers can be subject to delays out of our control.
Hassle-Free Returns Within 28 Days
- Items must be in sellable, new condition for return eligibility - see our full T&Cs for returns here.
- Easily arrange returns with An Post click & post through our returns page.
- Returns are processed promptly upon arrival at our store. Click here to start a return
Same-Day Delivery in Dublin
- Need your item in a hurry? We offer same-day delivery in Dublin with GRAB.
- Want your order quickly? We offer click and collect in-store!