A guidebook to the classic Chamonix to Zermatt trek, 180km from Mont Blanc to the Matterhorn, in the northern slopes of the Pennine Alps, described in 14 stages. Also known as the Walker's Haute Route, in 2 weeks of mountain travel you will see the greatest collection of 4000 metre peaks in the Alps and visit some of the most spectacular valleys.
The route crosses 11 passes, gains more than 12,000 metres in height and is a strong contender for the title of Most Beautiful Walk in Europe. You will discover delightful villages and remote hamlets, wander flower meadows and forests, skirt exquisite tarns that turn mountains on their heads, and clamber beside glaciers. The way explores lonely stone-filled corries, with marmots along the boulders and ibex on the heights, and provides a surprise around every corner. This new edition now includes the exciting two-day Europaweg - a true high-level path that carries the Haute Route way above the Mattertal and into Zermatt - a worthy conclusion to a great trek.
The guidebook also includes essential practical information on travel to and from Chamonix and Zermatt, as well as information on accommodation in alpine villages and mountain refuges, trekking safety, itinerary planning and how to best plan and prepare for this challenging but rewarding trek.
•Seasons - Alpine summer walking - mid-June to mid-September; snow could remain on higher passes well into July
•Centres - Chamonix, Argentière, Trient, Champex, Sembrancher, Le Chable, Verbier, Arolla, Les Haudères, Zinal, Gruben, St Niklaus, Zermatt
•Difficulty - 180km, 11 passes and 12,000m of ascent over 2 weeks make this a fairly tough trek; high alpine mountain walking
•Must See - Mont Blanc and Chamonix's Aiguilles, the Combin stages, the fabulous Vals d'Herens and Moiry, the view of the Matterhorn as you walk into Zermatt
Enjoy Free Delivery on Orders Over €75!
- For orders under €75, a nominal fee of €5.95 applies.
- Orders placed before 12:00pm are dispatched the same business day.
- We use An Post next-day delivery, but allow up to 3 business days as couriers can be subject to delays out of our control.
Hassle-Free Returns Within 28 Days
- Items must be in sellable, new condition for return eligibility - see our full T&Cs for returns here.
- Easily arrange returns with An Post click & post through our returns page.
- Returns are processed promptly upon arrival at our store. Click here to start a return
Same-Day Delivery in Dublin
- Need your item in a hurry? We offer same-day delivery in Dublin with GRAB.
- Want your order quickly? We offer click and collect in-store!