Ski Touring in the Vanoise provides an introduction to ski touring in the French département of Savoie and covers the Vanoise National Park and surrounding area. Skiing exploded in Savoie in the 1960s and 1970s, when every mountain village wanted to exploit the 'white gold' that fell every winter. Despite the massive development of ski resorts, including some of the biggest and best in the world, many areas remained untouched and became the reserve of ski tourers. It is in these untouched areas that you will find the real 'white gold' of Savoie.
The guide is aimed at skiers who find the magnificent, unspoilt scenery and peace and quiet of the mountains as exhilarating as the thrill of a perfect descent. The guide covers all the major areas of the region and includes tours of all levels of difficulty and of all styles, from one-day trips to multi-day, hut-to-hut journeys. The tours that have been chosen reflect the variety of landscape and skiing that makes ski touring in Savoie so special.
The guide is divided into 12 chapters, which describe 63 days of skiing, with over 100 additional alternatives and variations. Although more than an off-piste skiing guide, many of the tours start from resorts and can be combined with a resort-based ski holiday.
•Seasons - Generally February until May, but may vary according to snow conditions.
•Centres-Valmorel, St Francois-Longchamp, Le Collet d’Allevard, Les Septs Laux, Granier, La Plagne, Valloire, Val d’Isere, the Ambin valley, Averole valley, Carro/Evettes.
•Difficulty - All grades from easy to strenuous. Ski touring and ski mountaineering can be extremely dangerous. Always be sure that you are properly equipped, and are trained and experienced in mountain safety.
•Must See - Completing a ski tour with perfect snow, in perfect weather!
- 1 Jan 2003
- 17.2 x 11.6 x 1.5cm
- No. Maps
- No. Photos
Enjoy Free Delivery on Orders Over €75!
- For orders under €75, a nominal fee of €5.95 applies.
- Orders placed before 12:00pm are dispatched the same business day.
- We use An Post next-day delivery, but allow up to 3 business days as couriers can be subject to delays out of our control.
Hassle-Free Returns Within 28 Days
- Items must be in sellable, new condition for return eligibility - see our full T&Cs for returns here.
- Easily arrange returns with An Post click & post through our returns page.
- Returns are processed promptly upon arrival at our store. Click here to start a return
Same-Day Delivery in Dublin
- Need your item in a hurry? We offer same-day delivery in Dublin with GRAB.
- Want your order quickly? We offer click and collect in-store!