44 best hill days in southern Scotland
This guidebook describes 44 routes and over 100 summits stretching across the Southern Uplands of Scotland, stretching south-west from Edinburgh to the English border, including the Galloway and Pentland Hills. The walks range between 2 and 29km, suitable for walkers of all abilities.
The Scottish Southern Uplands is a range that is about as big as the English Pennines. It is wild hill country, with over 80 hills of 2000ft or more, and it boasts a real remoteness that is difficult to find elsewhere. All hillwalkers should experience these wonderfully characterful landscapes: green and gentle, but with hidden surprises and remote escapes.
The routes are suitable from spring to autumn, and on winter days with good weather and snow conditions. Each route provides OS mapping, information on distance, ascent, time, maximum altitude and terrain, as well as details of any variants or shortcuts. With notes on points of interest along the way as well as on transport and accommodation, the guide gives all the information walkers need.
•Seasons - spring to autumn, plus winter days with good weather and snow conditions
•Centres - Newton Stewart and Glentrool, Nithsdale (Dumfriesshire), Biggar, Moffat, Peebles, Edinburgh, Kirk Yetholm
•Difficulty - hill walks below 900m, ranging from straightforward on good paths (Lowther Hill, Pentlands) to pathless and occasionally quite rugged (Kielder, Loch Enoch)
•Must See - Merrick and the Galloway Hills, Hart Fell and Devil's Beeftub, White Coomb and Grey Mare's Tail waterfall, Pentland Hills, Arthur's Seat, Hen Hole of the Cheviot, River Tweed
- 19 Jan 2015
- 17.2 x 11.6 x 1.5cm
Enjoy Free Delivery on Orders Over €75!
- For orders under €75, a nominal fee of €5.95 applies.
- Orders placed before 12:00pm are dispatched the same business day.
- We use An Post next-day delivery, but allow up to 3 business days as couriers can be subject to delays out of our control.
Hassle-Free Returns Within 28 Days
- Items must be in sellable, new condition for return eligibility - see our full T&Cs for returns here.
- Easily arrange returns with An Post click & post through our returns page.
- Returns are processed promptly upon arrival at our store. Click here to start a return
Same-Day Delivery in Dublin
- Need your item in a hurry? We offer same-day delivery in Dublin with GRAB.
- Want your order quickly? We offer click and collect in-store!