Meet Our Ambassador: John O’Regan
- Wednesday 26th September, 2018
- By Kyle
Hailing from Lexip, County Kildare, John O’Regan is an internationally acclaimed Irish Ultramarathon runner. He is a Great Outdoors sponsored athlete, but he is also supported by Columbia Sportswear. The most impressive of his dozens of accolades are as follows:
-Completing marathons and ultramarathons on all 7 continents and the north pole. This makes him a member of the exclusive Intercontinental Marathon Club.
-Completing the Highest, Lowest, most Northern and most Southern races in the World (in temperatures ranging from -30C to + 50C)
-Representing Ireland in the 24 hour, 100K, and Trail World Championships on multiple occasions.
-Completing a variety of hardcore of challenges; including the Yukon 100 Mile Arctic Ultra and the 246km Spartathlon in Greece.
-He’s been the subject of a feature length documentary: “Defining Moment”
-Completing a marathon on each of the 7 Continents in 7 Days.
On top of all the running he does, John is a qualified running coach, personal trainer and speaker. He guide runs for blind ultramarathon runner Sinéad Kane and has previously worked with blind adventurer Mark Pollock. He also holds down a full time job at Irish Rail.
John is a fanatically motivated individual, who finds time to balance training, work, and a whole lot of fun in his 7 days a week.
Favourite Places in Ireland: There are too many to list but they include Wicklow Mountains National Park.
Hobbies: Hill Walking and Fishing.
Advice for Beginners: Pay as much attention to rest and recovery as you do to your training and don’t ignore injuries.
Goals: He has a few events that are in the planning stages including a few European trail races. He’d also like to try qualify for the 24 hour world championships 2019
Career Highlights/Awards and Achievements:
· 1st Place in 100 Mile Yukon Arctic Ultra
· 1st Place in Inca Trail Marathon
· 2nd place in Antarctic Ice Marathon
· 1st place in Energia 24Hr track race 2011 & 2012
· 2nd place in Energia 24Hr track race 2013 & 2014
· 2nd place in Energia 12Hr track race 2015 (Guiding Sinead Kane)
· Representing Ireland in the Trail World Championships 2011
· Representing Ireland in the 100K World Championships 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
· Representing Ireland in the 24-Hour World Championship 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 2017
· Irish 24-Hour National Champion 2011, 2012, and 2014
· 2nd place in the inaugural Tralee 100K 2014
· 1st place in Ireland in the Wings for Life World Run 2014
This only scratches the surface of what John has done. With a new challenge always on the horizon his full list of achievements is constantly growing.
and be the first to hear of our exclusive offers, latest news, events and more.